CELEBRATING MONTEREY'S 125TH BIRTHDAY
Its a long word, but it means celebrating 125 years. Happy birthday, Monterey!
Known as Sttanding Stone for many moons prior to being founded as Monterey, things started
T.J. and Nancy Whittaker sold land to
the Cumberland Mountain Coal Company.
T.J. reallly never got to see the new town’
s potential, because he was murdered by
his grandson on Nov. 30, 1900.
The Tennessee General Assembly incorporates the Town of Monterey.
The Town of Monterey plat, designed by
Robert Moscript, the civil engineer who laid
out the Nashville & Knoxville Railroad (N &
K RR) was registered in the Putnam Register
of Deeds offfice by John H. Onstott, of the
Cumberland Coal Company.
THE RAILROAD REACHES MONTEREY. Alexander Crawford’s Nashville & Knoxville Railroad reached
Monterey and transportation has never been the same. For years, it took days to get to Nashville, now only
took hours. Unfortunately, the ancient Standing Stone was in the railroad’s pathway. As remnabts were blown
up. Fortunately, the Improved Order of Redman reacued a 816 lbs. portion and had it ingraved in Cookeville
and returned in Oct. 1895.
The Tennessee Decretary of State officially registered thencorporation of the TowAn of Monterey.
First Board of Mayor and Aldermen: Mayor Robert Lee Ray; and Aldermen John F. Sehon, John W. Welch,
James Calvin Walker and James Edward Jones. They served until an election was held in Dec., 1894.